Re: [scim] Retrieving members of a group

Jaap Francke <jaap.francke@iwelcome.com> Thu, 06 December 2018 07:53 UTC

From: Jaap Francke <jaap.francke@iwelcome.com>
To: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
CC: "scim@ietf.org" <scim@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 07:53:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.17.5.138]
Subject: Re: [scim] Retrieving members of a group

Thanks Phil for your quick response,

I agree with you that I don’t see a use case for (sub)pagination on the user. Filters on the USER endpoint is a good way to look for particular user(s) who are part of a certain (large) group; probably in combination with a filter on some other user attribute.

I do see a use case for listing available groups. We plan to have a group schema extension so we can filter on the group endpoint to look for particular groups.
That’s why we plan to return partial group representations, excluding the members which are not relevant at that moment.
In this way we don’t get huge payloads without need for subpagination and we’re still conforming to the SCIM specification.

I was curious if anyone else did a similar thing when using the group-endpoint or has thoughts about this approach. If this is a common and good approach, it could be part of the SCIM specifications as an example.

Thanks

Jaap