Re: [scim] [EXTERNAL] Re: Contributors needed for HR schema

Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net> Wed, 22 June 2022 22:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 18:49:58 -0400
To: Danny Zollner <Danny.Zollner@microsoft.com>, "scim@ietf.org" <scim@ietf.org>
From: Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net>
Subject: Re: [scim] [EXTERNAL] Re: Contributors needed for HR schema

I think you have it the wrong way round. The schemas need to be targeted
at the applications that need to use it. Let me lay out at least 4
different types of target applications. There may be more but that's
what I can think of off the top of my head. Note that I didn't like the
use of the word 'Worker' and used 'Resource' instead though that may be
too vague for SCIM. Suggestions welcome. Note that a 'Resource' may be
an employee, contractor, intern, board member, auditor, etc. Each schema
would need to be clear on the type of resource being referenced.

1) Authorization applications

Examples of this are Active Directory, Credential Authorization, Card
Readers. There are others where authorizations for a resource needs to
be configured. Information that needs to be provided include the type of
resource, various groups like department and division, office location,
office email, etc. Card Readers are often forgotten as needing some
information as some office areas, or even building may be restricted,
either by type of person or the hours.

2) Payment and benefits systems

These require personal information about a person, including their
national ID, home address, banking information, etc. needed to process
payroll. In addition, benefits like insurance require items like
beneficiaries and dependents, home address, etc. Savings plans require
similar information. This is usually only for Employees, but there can
be exceptions for contractors performing work with these systems.

3) Other applications

These include requirements like their general information of their cost
center, profit center, manager, division, department, etc. Examples of
this are Timesheet and Expense applications. Usually Employees and
Contractors need access to these systems to enter their hours and
expenses. In addition some people in the finance department may require
some sort of 'super' access to these systems to perform their job.

4) Ticketing applications

These systems don't need any special information about a person but
there are likely to be contractors involved in helping with the tickets
and need additional access.

I hope this helps in getting this rolling.

Danny