Re: [scim] Discussion Item: Personally Identifiable Information in SCIM

Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net> Sun, 14 November 2021 17:06 UTC

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:06:33 -0500
To: Phillip Hunt <phil.hunt@independentid.com>
Cc: "scim@ietf.org" <scim@ietf.org>, "Janelle Allen (janelall)" <janelall=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
From: Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net>
Subject: Re: [scim] Discussion Item: Personally Identifiable Information in SCIM

None of this answers my basic question of why PII would be a part of
SCIM. HR systems (with the exception of a few properties) and Finance
systems should not be sharing PII with other systems and a management
system (a SCIM client) should not be aware of that information. I can
imagine that an expense system, for example, might need some additional
information from an HR system (like a physical address) but is that what
is needed? The other need might be a payroll system needing Bank
information for direct deposit and physical address, but you want that
system to act as a direct SCIM client to HR and not go through any other
servers for that information.

Does this make sense? Can someone come up with actual use cases to
justify PII in SCIM?

Thanks,

Danny