[Sdn] Draft minutes for IETF96/Berlin SDNRG/NFVRG/NMRG joint meeting on Managing Virtualized and Programmable Networks

Kohei Shiomoto <shiomoto.kohei@lab.ntt.co.jp> Wed, 27 July 2016 23:32 UTC

From: Kohei Shiomoto <shiomoto.kohei@lab.ntt.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 08:34:29 +0900
To: sdn@irtf.org
Subject: [Sdn] Draft minutes for IETF96/Berlin SDNRG/NFVRG/NMRG joint meeting on Managing Virtualized and Programmable Networks

Dear SDN-RG

Attached below please find the draft minutes of the IETF96/Berlin
meeting, the SDNRG/NFVRG/NMRG joint meeting on Managing Virtualized and
Programmable Networks. We appreciate Haomian and Catalin for
volunteering to take the minutes and Will for jabber scribe during the
meeting. Please let us know if you have any comments and corrections.

Best regards,
Dan and Kohei

IETF 96 - Joint meeting SDNRG/NFVRG/NMRG on Managing Virtualized and
Programmable Networks
Friday, July 22, 2016
10:00-12:00 Friday Morning session I
Session Chairs: Laurent Ciavaglia(NM RG), Diego Lopez(NFV RG), and Kohei
Shiomoto(SDN RG)

-----------------
0. Introduction
Laurent Ciavaglia, Diego Lopez, and Kohei Shiomoto
5 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Goal of the meeting: investigate problems, challenges and gaps for NFV /
SDN. Speakers asked to outline research directions and applicability to
IRTF/IETF discussions, working groups and work.

(Q&A)
No Questions discussed.

-----------------
1. Network operator Challenges for Commercial SDN Environments
Ariel Gu (China Mobile)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
DCs with SDN/NFV deployed at large scale, public cloud with 2000 servers
and private cloud with 3000 compute nodes. Challenges brought by SND/NFV:
-    Large amounts of information, fault localization and topology
visualization
-    OAM for new encapsulation like VXLAN
Challenges in the management architecture: telemetry is not widely
supported by vendors, so not mature to use right now.
Information collection: need to be extensible (e.g. large scale) and
high-performance
Topology of each levels should be displayed dynamically on both tenant
and administrator sides.
Network monitoring challenges: need to monitor both at tenant and admin
levels.
E2E fault detection made more complex by the virtualized environment.

(Q&A)
No Questions discussed.

-----------------
2. Techniques and tools for the management and operation of NFV and SDN
networks
Evangelos Haleplidis
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
SDN/NFV changes the network from box-oriented management to
resource-oriented management. RFC7426 shows a model of architecture for
this network. An attempt was made to map RFC7426 onto the ETSI MANO
architecture. University of Patras built a DSL using the FORCES spec
that allowed defining a network of resources and managing it.
Future directions:
-    Common set of abstractions needed, both for hypervisors and network
functions

(Q&A)
Haomian: Clarification; the abstraction model discussed here is
function, not network;
Evangelos: Yes, we don’t want to repeat the IETF WG works. There are
enough abstraction models, we need a common set of functions.

-----------------
3. SDN Architecture and Use Cases for PCE-based Central Control
Adrian Farrel (Olddog)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Talking about the evolution of PCE, in relation to two drafts in the PCE
WG and the TEAS WG. PCE isolates computation from the actual
establishing of a path. The larger use case right now is in transport
networks. PCE evolution went through one function to a hierarchical
architecture to current work on including it in SDN controllers. Working
out where the PCE fits in SDN is debatable, although the function
clearly exists. PCE-based Central Controller ? using the word
“controller” instead of “orchestrator”. This enables an opportunity to
have a hybrid, node-by-node and controller-to-node control in the
network that functions both horizontally and vertically.

(Q&A)
Kostas: A minor consideration from me: for PCE is it the first solution
in SDN southbound? That’s from historical perspective. The other thing
is now there are hierarchical PCEs and a lot of drafts. It seems the
content here is to fitting PCEP into a combination of
hierarchical/recursive and multi-domain scenario, which has been
published a few years ago. Have you looked at the previous work
published in this RG? Have you seen some other research work doing this
problem instead of PCE?
Adrian: Yes, I think you raise a good point from a different angle, on
why PCE/PCEP instead of other protocol in the SDN scope. The answer is
typically from deployment and from implementation. It would be nice to
implement or deploy 10 protocols (if you have PCE)to the same or
crossing-spaces. IETF have 3 protocols (PCEP/BGP-LS/RESTYANG or JSON) on
the same interface; I am not going to judge the pros and cons for the
operators. The slides here is just to show what people already have with
PCE. Hopefully research can help announcing that the 3 approach are
becoming overlap with each other, and it will be functionally okay or
functionally broken, performance okay or performance broken, complexity
okay or complexity broken. The industry society, I don’t think they will
do that because everybody cares about money.
Kostas: I am getting off the tunnel, I didn’t follow much about the
progress, is it open source for research community?
Adrian: it’s going on.
Dan King: yes, in ONOS.
Pedro: what is the network/controller model? You talked about PCE as a
central controller, is it the same with PCE running as an APP on the
controller?
Adrian: Well, there are many Hierarchical controller and may be
confusing, as people may not have same definition with what controller
is. Anyway, controller controls a device. PCE-based box talks via PCEP.

-----------------
4. Network Scheduling in Software-defined Environments
Tal Mizrahi (Marvell and Technion)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
What would happen if all the nodes would have synchronized clocks and
NMS/controller could tell the nodes to perform operations in a
timely-synchronized manner. Using timed network updates could be done in
OpenFlow, I2RS, FORCES, etc. Scheduling the updates guarantees no
blackholes during updating multiple nodes. Using timestamps instead of
time (as they showed at SWFAN’16) could create a number of opportunities.
Synchronization is rather expensive. China Mobile have about 1M base
stations synchronized at 1 us (reported in the TIC TOC group).
The authors proposed TimefFlip, timestamping based TCAM Lookups meaning
we could define time applicability for TCAM loops. This is not expensive
in term of TCAM resources. Benchmarked on a Marvell switch.
New feature in OpenFlow 1.5 for timed updates, and also an experimental
RFC for Netconf.
Future work: Netconf, I2RS, PCE, FORCES.
Dataplane timestamping already considered in SFC, but also of interest
for NVO3.

(Q&A)
Stewart Bryant: Excellent work, however, go back to the idea of flipping
and forwarding on the scheduling. We had worked on the similar topic
before. The problem we (and everybody) have is we double size the flip,
you need one entry for the old stuff and one entry for new. And that
will particularly bring you problem when the network is large-scale and
cross-forward.
Tal: Right, I agree, so if you want to replace the entire flip, you have
the old one and the new one in practise, then you are right, there are
double buffering. But if you want to do gradually, I mean each time you
update a few, you don’t need that.
Stewart Bryant: you have to have the whole thing there to deal with such
as critical failure to the network. The network requires you, for
example, the ring structure, I think it changed.
Tal: Right.
John Dowdell: Presentation very interesting. On Monday we did make this
happen to work.
Boris Khasanov: This presentation reminds me a debate that occurs
sometime before: which one is better, sync protocol or async protocol? I
would love to see the (followup) work;

-----------------
5. Authentication and Authorization in Wired OpenFlow-based Networks
using 802.1X
Frederik Hauser (Uni-tuebingen)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Status quo: highly insecure approaches, MAC-based and web portals. They
investigated the use of 802.1X in an SDN environment, bringing the
Authenticator as an application on the SDN controller which is compliant
to standards and makes no changes to the endpoints. Another extension
was introducing a network-wide session database for identity based
network control, supporting both fine-grained and complex admission rules.
Future work: deploy to larger testbeds

(Q&A)
Laurent: already deployed? In lab or campus?
Frederik: It was just in the lab.
Laurent: are you going to real deploy it?
Frederik: The next step is to moving to bigger test.

-----------------
6. Limitations of Optimization for Multi-site NFV Network Service Delivery
Andy Veitch (NetCracker)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Orchestration for SDN and NFV are separate and independent, while the
combination of them is expected to reduce OPEX and CAPEX. They are
involved in a number of activities reviewing the state of the art and
potential implications for IETF. Two use cases presented, where network,
compute, storage are considered all together.

(Q&A)
Hui Deng: speak for OPEN-O; that project try to integrate SDN/NFV
orchestrator; I see here you put the agent into separate SDN/NFV
orchestrator.
Andy: more historically, you have a PCE/SDN controller that has not have
the orchestrator function, and cannot provide virtual services. What the
resource are available to Data Centers? What is going on in the network?
Thus information is not available then.
Hui Deng: looking at the architecture, we do have similar project about
drivers to interconnect DCs and provide L2vpn, L3vpn; the challenge
would be the bounder issue, especially for update;
Andy: agree, the challenge should be response time, as there is a lot of
interaction. This time duration also depends on what information do you
want to report/receive on the interface.
Hui deng: Suggest to have a look at OPEN-O;
Andy: there are a few open source projects.
Diego: please go offline discussion on open source project.

-----------------
7. SDN Controller Performance Evaluation
Yimeng Zhao (telecom-paristech)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Currently, there are few tools to evaluate the scalability of SDN
controllers. High availability is really difficult to prove. Results
shown for evaluating centralized controllers. Different python
interpreters may affect performance as much as 4 times, and setting such
as hyperthreading were found useful for Java-based controllers. Also
evaluated distributed controllers (ODL and ONOS). They exhibit control
latency due to synchronization. An efficient synchronization system is
needed for distributed controllers.

(Q&A)
Pedro: you compare performance from different implementation; too many
dimensions, should compare apple to apple; need more about background
information
Yimeng: we do have different controller implementations in different
scenario,
Pedro: I do have some doubt on
Boris: Can you help share the report?
Yimeng: Yes
Diego: like to see the report shared in SDN RG.
Samuel Jero (Purdue): what is missing in the presentation is what you
did to get these numbers. Are we talking about switching, or routing.
Could you tell more about the methodology? can you share more
methodology how you get these numbers?
Yimeng: several OSes were used to generate packet requests. Part on
C-bench and some on vswitch;
Samuel: I encourage you to use more realistic conditions.
Yimeng: We do need and deeper investigation on testbed.
Sara Banks (BMWG co-chair): please look at the use cases from BMWG, and
please send the test report to BMWG as well.
Uri Ezur (Intel): testing the controller in isolation without end
stations is very theoretical. In order to allow the community to
reproduce the results, detailed descriptions and identification of
bottlenecks would be need to be included in the report.

-----------------
8. VNF Benchmark as a Service
Robert Szabo (Ericsson)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Goals for VBaaS are to extend ETSI NFV by defining complementary
functional components that define interfaces and VBaaS workflows.

(Q&A)
Uri Elzur: try to measure the performance about VNF in different DCs? Do
you need to go the resolution to go through the NFV? Did you distinguish
between the performance on network and the performance on NFV?
Robert: Yes, fully distributing. We have scenarios that fix on one side
and compare on the other side.
Uri Elzur: would like to see splitting two components.
Diego: Please move the discussion offline.

-----------------
9. The abstract art of composing SDN applications
Pedro Aranda (Telefonica)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Management of programmable networks need to evolve. Foreseeable
evolution paths include treating network functions as software
libraries, better abstractions and integrating machine learning
mechanisms. The NetIDE project provides one mechanism to support
software development for networks. Application composition is a
challenge, as it may create conflicts for accessing basic resources such
as flow tables.
Better abstractions:  Java, Python libraries are not intent, they are
just low level abstractions. A discussion on intent definitions, related
to work from IBNEMO and ODL-NIC as first steps in the right direction.

(Q&A)
No Question Discussed. (due to time-limit)

-----------------
10. Control as a minimal common denominator for future networking
Artur Hecker (Huawei)
10 Minutes

(Presentation Summary)
Transition from code from vendors tested on some devices, to untested
code from 3rd parties. So how can we go forward from this?
SDN promised software-defined networking, but the programmability is
actually quite limited to largely traffic switching. Also, there is
insufficient protection e.g. the programming model is very basic.
They propose “unified control” through a resource-to-resource protocol
suite dedicated to establishing and maintaining control but without
presuming a specific usage. Two dimensions of unification, spanning both
horizontal and vertical interactions. The purpose is to create a
capability that allows producing self-* control planes, e.g. a
network-OS kernel.

(Q&A)
Diego:Thanks Artur, please use the list for further discussion.

11. Discussions
Not Discussed. (due to time-limit)

12. Closing
Not Discussed. (due to time-limit)