Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

Samuel Weiler <weiler@watson.org> Thu, 14 January 2010 23:43 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:43:20 -0500
From: Samuel Weiler <weiler@watson.org>
To: "Richard L. Barnes" <rbarnes@bbn.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost@tools.ietf.org, dnsext-chairs@tools.ietf.org, secdir <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Richard L. Barnes wrote:

> Section 5:
> This section seems unnecessary, since GOST has only one size for keys,
> signatures, and digests.

>From the perspective of the DNS world, I think being explicit about
this is actually pretty handy.  I see benefit in leaving it.

Other than that, I generally concur with the secdir reviews received
to date, particuarly the lowering of the requirement level.

Also, while I haven't thoroughly reviewed this draft since April 2009
(when the DNSEXT WG was asking whether to adopt it or not), a couple
of things jump out, which I'll share now rather than wait for the IETF
last call:

Section 6.2, on NSEC3 support, is a little vague.  I think the doc
means "zones signed with the algorithms specified in this document may
use either NSEC or NSEC3 and validators supporting this algorithm must
support both NSEC and NSEC3".  I'm not sure my wording is much
clearer, but a change is needed.

In the IANA considerations, do not use the asterisk.  Just say that
this algorithm suite isn't being defined for transaction security
mechanisms.

Also, the IANA considerations section includes the requirement status
column, which implicitly assumes that we are advancing
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-registry-fixes-01.  I'm not convinced that's
going to happen any time soon, particularly given the lackluster
response to draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words, which it
depends on.  So... that needs to be tracked.  It's not necessary to
cite registry-fixes, but it probably is necessary to treat it as a
dependency for publication purposes.

-- Sam