[secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-15

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Tue, 24 June 2014 15:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:48:02 -0400
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
To: secdir <secdir@ietf.org>, bclaise@cisco.com, jparello@cisco.com, moulchan@cisco.com, n.brownlee@auckland.ac.nz, tnadeau@lucidvision.com, joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-eman-energy-aware-mib-15

I reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's ongoing
effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.These
comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments
just like any other last call comments. Since I am not a MIB expert, my
comments are strictly related to the security-relevant aspects of this
document.

This document, as its name implies, defines a MIB for energy management
devices. Given increasing concern over security in the so-called
"cyber-physical" realm, a MIB for such devices clearly merits scrutiny.
Also, to the extent that such devices (e.g., meters) might be associated
with residences, there are personal privacy issues that ought to be
addressed, in the PERPASS era.

The document is clearly written; my compliments to the authors in that
regard. The one odd thing I noted was that Sections 11.1 and 11.2 appear
between Sections 6 and 7! I think this was a cut and paste error that is
easily remedied.

The Security Considerations section (7) is about one-half page in
length. I have several concerns with the text here.

First, the text says "It is thus important to control even GET and/or
NOTIFY access to these objects and possibly to even encrypt the values
of these objects when sending them over the network via SNMP." This
seems to be an understatement. I'd like to see the text here RECOMMEND
use of encryption to provide confidentiality. This would be supportive
of personal privacy, in residential contexts, and physical security in
residential and enterprise settings. I can imagine a movie in which
burglars use a lack of encryption to gain critical information about
building infrastructure from a an energy MIB J.

The text later says "There are a number of management objects defined in
these MIB modules with a MAX-ACCESS clause of read-write and/or
read-create.Such objects MAY be considered sensitive or vulnerable in
some network environments.The support for SET operations in a non-secure
environment without proper protection can have a negative effect on
network operations. Again, this strikes me as a significant
understatement, i.e., the scope of the "negative effect" could be much
broader that just a network. (Power outlets are cited as examples of
objects, so anything plugged into an outlet could be effected, right?)
There should be more emphasis on the need for access control.

The text later says "SNMP versions prior to SNMPv3 did not include
adequate security. Even if the network itself is secure (for example, by
using IPsec), there is still no secure control over who on the secure
network is allowed to access and GET/SET (read/change/create/delete) the
objects in these MIB modules." This is a misleading. IPsec natively
provides access control. It would be accurate to say that the access
controls offered by IPsec would only limit who could access the MIB.
What the authors seem to suggest here is finer-grained access control,
so that one can manage GET/SET privileges for the set of individuals who
are authorized to connect to the MIB via the SMTP port, right?

The text discussing use of SNMPv3 security is a bit confusing.

It RECOMMENDS that implementers "consider" SMNPv3 security features, but
then says deployment of SNMP versions prior to v3 is NOT RECOMMENDED.
The first paragraph discussing this topic deals with thinking about
support (vs. use) of SNMPv3, while the second paragraph makes a much
stronger statement about deployment. It would be more consistent to
mandate support (MUST or SHOULD) for SNMPv3 in entities that incorporate
this MIB. Separately the document can RECOMMEND enabling SNMPv3 security
features in deployments, for the reasons cited.