[secdir] SECDIR review of draft-turner-encryptedkeypackagecontenttype-01

Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com> Sun, 11 April 2010 01:26 UTC

Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 18:24:10 -0700
From: Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>
To: iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, draft-turner-encryptedkeypackagecontenttype-01.all@tools.ietf.org
Cc: cwallace@cygnacom.com
Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-turner-encryptedkeypackagecontenttype-01

Hi,

ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security area
directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these comments
just like any other last call comments.

Overall, I do not see any particular security concerns.  The document
appears to be in good shape and ready for publication.

Not finding anything of particular importance to note about the concepts,
I started looking at the nits.

Section 1 - The following is an awkward sentence:
    The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) specification [RFC5652]
    defines means to...
Perhaps:
    The Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) specification [RFC5652]
    defines mechanisms to...
(Means means so many different things.)

Section 1 also says:
    This document also defines an unprotected attribute for use with one
    of the key management options supported by the encrypted key package
    content type.
Not being a crypto geek, I'm left guessing which this is.  It's not
specifically called out in the document, and the implications of using it
are not called out in the Security Considerations section.

Why are you asking the RFC Editor to remove the IANA Considerstions
section?  Maybe I missed it, but I havn't seen any discussion about not
having an IANA Considerations section if you don't have anything for the
IANA to do.  I can see Informational and Experimental RFCs not having
anything, but IMHO a Standards Track document should have an IANA
Considerations ection even if it is just to say that nothing needs to be
done.

Regards,
Chris