Re: [secdir] Security area review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-framework-04

Scott Mansfield <scott.mansfield@ericsson.com> Mon, 15 February 2010 17:23 UTC

From: Scott Mansfield <scott.mansfield@ericsson.com>
To: pat cain <pcain2@mail2.coopercain.com>, "draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-framework@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-framework@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-framework.chairs@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-framework.chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 12:24:07 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Security area review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-framework-04

The editor's have reviewed the security directorate's comments and agree to replace the first two paragraphs of Section 8 by the paragraph suggested by Pat (with a slight modification that adds a sentence about who is authorized to access the interfaces)...

Pat's original suggestion
"Many of the EMF Interfaces (Section 2.3) are critical to proper NE operation and need to be protected from denial of service conditions or attack. The EMF Interfaces that use or access private information should be protected from eavesdropping or being accessed by unauthorized network elements, systems, or users."

The editors proposal...

The ability for the authorized network operator to access EMF interfaces (section 2.3) when needed is critical to proper operation.  Therefore the EMF interfaces need to be protected from denial of service conditions or attack. The EMF Interfaces that use or access private information should be protected from eavesdropping or being accessed by unauthorized network elements, systems, or users.

Regards,
-scott.