[secdir] README: Change in review deadlines

Samuel Weiler <weiler+secdir@watson.org> Mon, 03 August 2009 14:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:03:43 -0400
From: Samuel Weiler <weiler+secdir@watson.org>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] README: Change in review deadlines

call.

Details: based on feedback from doc authors and the IESG, the ADs
announced in Stockholm that they would prefer our initial reviews be
sent by the end of IETF last call.  That way, our comments can be
processed along with any other last call comments and aren't an
unpleasant late surprise to doc editors.

We previously asked for reviews within seven days, though most of us
were in the habit of letting that slip, often until the doc appeared
on telechat.  Most last calls are at least two weeks and often four
weeks.  Depending on how the last call announcement and assignment
cycles interact, this means that we should have at least one week and
usually more to get the review done.

To facilitate this, we have added a deadline field to the review
assignment messages.  This should list the last call end date (or, for
docs scheduled on an IESG telechat, the Tuesday before the telechat),
but there may be errors in some of the dates, especially for older
documents.  Feel free to check the last call announcement to be
certain.  Also, since there were no assignments made during the
Stockholm meeting, some of you are getting assignments of docs with
last calls ending in the next few days.  Knowing that this is a change
in practice, feel free to take a week to get those done.

I may also be shifting the assignment schedule somewhat to allow more
time for reviews.  Expect to see some variation.

If you'd like more visibility into your secdir assignments and
history, I can give you access to the review assignment tool.  Just
drop me a note.  (Despite an announcement about this at San Francisco,
we didn't open the tool up for experimentation then.)

And we're adding a few new members: Tina TSOU is on the list now, and
Russ Mundy will be joining us soon.

As always, let me know when you're going to be offline for an
extended period, particularly if you're in the next few names in the
rotation.

-- Sam