Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router

Chris Donley <C.Donley@cablelabs.com> Thu, 05 August 2010 15:09 UTC

From: Chris Donley <C.Donley@cablelabs.com>
To: "Scott G. Kelly" <scott@hyperthought.com>, Ole Troan <ot@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 09:00:00 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router.all@tools.ietf.org>, "cpe-router@external.cisco.com" <cpe-router@external.cisco.com>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router

Scott,

If we were to make the following changes to the security section, would they address your concerns?

It is considered a best practice to filter obviously malicious
   traffic (e.g. spoofed packets, "martian" addresses, etc.).  Thus, the
   IPv6 CE router should ought to support basic stateless egress and ingress
   filters.  The CE router should is also expected to offer mechanisms to filter
   traffic entering the customer network; however, the method by which
   vendors implement configurable packet filtering is beyond the scope
   of this document.

   Security requirements:

   S-1:  The IPv6 CE router SHOULD support
         [I-D.ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security]. In particular, the IPv6 CE router SHOULD support functionality sufficient for implementing the set of recommendations in [I-D.ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security] Section 4.  This document takes no position on whether such functionality is enabled by default or mechanisms by which users would configure it.

   S-2:  The IPv6 CE router MUST support ingress filtering in accordance
         with [RFC2827] (BCP 38)

Also, since we're so late in the process, my preference would be to specify device security as part of our Phase 2 draft (scheduled to start work on 8/13).  Would you have any issue with that?

Chris