Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org> Fri, 04 December 2020 21:14 UTC

From: Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 22:14:29 +0100
Cc: last-call@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies.all@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04

Hi Benjamin,

I did not used appeal to authority as an argument, but I’ve just provided examples that SipHash has been implemented in the similar scenarios and there hasn’t been reported issue with the choice for years now.

Using fast PRF (pseudorandom function) for the DNS Cookies is a good choice because it matches the required properties - it needs to be fast and secure in a sense that attacker can’t compute neither the key nor the output of the function. DNS Cookies are not MACs.

Sorry for the misnomer of the brute force - what I meant was a protection against a replay attack. I’m just currently very tired with day to day job.

Please note that DNS Cookies doesn’t protect the actual DNS message payload, it merely provide means to establish trust between the client and the server as to distinguish between a legitimate and spoofed traffic, so different policies can be used - Response Rate Limiting (RRL) could be turned off for DNS messages with cookies or when under attack it could require fallback to TCP for DNS queries without the DNS Cookie. The DNS cookies doesn’t protect the actual content in any way, neither it does protect the communication from the on path adversary.

In that regard, the client cookie is just nonce (and it’s just convenient to use same algorithm to generate it, but it could be output from CSPRNG as well) and the server cookie is a cryptographic primitive that uses the client nonce, key and timestamp to construct the server cookie. Such server cookie is used by the DNS client to authenticate to the server (it’s shared secret, but it requires no per-client state on the server). Just to repeat, the actual payload (DNS message) is not protected by the DNS cookie.

If the DNS server could keep a state for every DNS client, a CS random number would be as good as the output of the SipHash.

I might not be a cryptographer as my daily job, but I am reasonably confident that SipHash has matching properties, it hasn’t been broken as of today. Also all DNS vendors have agreed to make this choice and the RFC here is merely a way how to ensure interoperability between various implementations.

(Typing this on phone, so excuse any irregularities in the text.)
Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý — ISC (He/Him)