Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-req-05.txt

Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com> Wed, 07 October 2009 11:08 UTC

From: Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com>
To: Tobias Gondrom <tobias.gondrom@gondrom.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 07:09:27 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "swallow@cisco.com" <swallow@cisco.com>, "tim.polk@nist.gov" <tim.polk@nist.gov>, "Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com" <Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com>, Scott Mansfield <scott.mansfield@ericsson.com>, "adrian.farrel@huawei.com" <adrian.farrel@huawei.com>, "hklam@Alcatel-Lucent.com" <hklam@Alcatel-Lucent.com>, "loa@pi.nu" <loa@pi.nu>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-nm-req-05.txt

Tobias,

	Thanks for your review and comments.

	The decision to publish this document as a standards
track RFC was based on the previous restriction that ITU-T
cannot refer to an Informational RFC.  This restriction
has only just been relaxed to allow references to an RFC
that results from the IETF consensus process, so it may no
longer be necessary to publish this draft as a standards
track RFC.

	That decision is out of my hands.

	Some definitions included are verbatim extractions
from ITU-T publications, taken to avoid the need for a
normative reference to those publications.  As such, they
are not actually subject to change and - if you disagree
with them - I would suggest taking it up with applicable
Questions in Study Group 15 at ITU-T.

	We tried to clarify the use of RFC 2119 language in
this document and were somewhat limited in our ability to
do so by the requirements enforced by "idnits" that the
text must appear verbatim in the draft.  The intent in -
for example - making a statement that the NE MUST perform
persistency checks is to ensure protocol and management
specifications ensure that doing so is possible based on
configuration.  The case where persitistency checking is
effectively disabled by configuration could be considered
the degenerate case where required persistency is zero.

	The intention with alarm suppression is that some
alarms are not desired in some configurations or under
some conditions. Escalation procedures MAY, in certain
situations, result in escalating an alarm condition to one
that is not suppressed.  Hence - to directly answer your
question - suppression is permanent for those specific
alarms for which it is configured, and as long as it is
not configured otherwise.

	The instance of "the" that you pointed out should
be changed to "that" as you suggest.

	Again, thanks for the review!

--
Eric