Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-storm-ipsec-ips-update-03

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Fri, 23 August 2013 00:46 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: "tlyu@mit.edu" <tlyu@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:46:07 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "draft-ietf-storm-ipsec-ips-update.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-storm-ipsec-ips-update.all@tools.ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-storm-ipsec-ips-update-03

Tom,

I think we should agree to disagree on one point, and I'm prepared to make
text changes to address the others (in particular, you are clearly right
that the hardware implementation rationale for AES GCM instead of AES CTR
should be made clearer).  As previously noted, I plan to hold off on
submitting a revised draft until after the IESG telechat on August 29.

Again, thank you for the review and your comments.

-- Point of disagreement

I firmly believe that filing technical errata against RFC 4106 (AES GCM)
is the appropriate vehicle for the concerns about AES GCM nonce reuse,
including the comparison of security properties to AES CTR.  Such errata will
get the requisite level of review from security experts and cryptographers
who may not look at this draft, and will result in them being seen by
anyone who implements GCM, in contrast to this draft which may not even
be consulted by all IPsec implementers.

I propose leaving this to the Security ADs to determine at this juncture, as
I believe I understand your security concerns, (with which I do not disagree).

Rather, I am asserting that this draft is the wrong vehicle for them, because
(IMHO) they should be directly associated with the AES GCM RFC, and filing
technical errata against that RFC is the appropriate means to accomplish that.

-- Points of agreement

(1) Applicability of security considerations text in other RFCs

> > * OTOH, it would make sense to add a sentence to point out that all of the
> > referenced security RFCs and the security considerations in all of the
> > other referenced RFCs are applicable if that seems useful.
>
> That would be useful, as would additional text calling out the
> security considerations sections for RFCs related to algorithms whose
> requirement levels this document changes, e.g., AES-CTR (RFC 3686),
> AES-GCM (RFC 4106), and AES-GMAC (RFC 4543).

Ok, I can do that.

(2) Rationale for replacement of AES CTR with AES GCM

> Am I correct in concluding from the above that there were no security
> issues leading to the changes of requirement levels for AES-CTR
> ("SHOULD" to "MAY"), and that you base the advice on hardware
> implementation considerations?  If so, this text in Section 2.2 seems
> potentially misleading:
>
>    "This document changes both [3DES-CBC and AES-CTR] of these
>    requirements based on cryptographic developments since the
>    publication of RFC 3723."
>
> unless "cryptographic developments" refers to both the block size
> vulnerability of 3DES and the standardization of AES-GCM.

That is the situation.

> In that
> case, I would suggest adding text to the "AES Counter mode" paragraph
> of Section 2.2 indicating that the new preference of AES-GCM above
> AES-CTR is because of hardware implementation considerations and not
> cryptographic weakness.

Good suggestion - I'll plan on doing that.

(3) Use of 3DES

> I agree that 3DES is no longer appropriate as the "MUST implement"
> confidentiality transform.  I think that because 3DES remains
> available as an optional algorithm, it could be valuable to provide
> advice about when its use might be an acceptable risk (low data rate
> sessions?).

Ok, I can write a sentence to the effect that when the data rate is low
enough that 3DES's rekeying frequency is not a concern, 3DES is a
reasonable algorithm to use.

(4) Key strength matching

As previously noted, I'll do the following:

> > * I'll add some advice about matching strengths of symmetric and asymmetric
> > keys with a pointer to NIST SP 800-57, as there are key length requirements
> > in this draft.

(5) ESP sequence numbers and rekeying

As previously noted, I'll do the following:

> > * ESP sequence number cycling is prohibited (MUST rekey before that happens)
> > by RFC 2404 and RFC 4303, so I don't see any point in discussing its
> > consequences.  OTOH, I think it would be good to call attention to this
> > requirement to rekey before the ESP sequence number rolls over and point out
> > that extended sequence numbers greatly reduce the frequency at which that
> > may be necessary (probably in Section 2 of this draft).

Thanks,
--David