Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs

Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com> Tue, 06 October 2009 09:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:50:03 +0200
From: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org, IESG IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, abr@zen-sys.com, jbu@zen-sys.com, giorgio.porcu@guest.telecomitalia.it
Subject: Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs

ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
 These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

  This message is my updated review of the -08 version of the document.
 The original review is included below for completeness.

  The Security Considerations section of the document has been
significantly improved.  Both attacks and mitigation strategies are
discussed.

  I have comments on that section.  The current text is:

   The HC-LLN MUST deny any node that has not been authenticated to
   the HC-LLN and authorized to participate to the routing decision
   process.

   An attacker SHOULD be prevented from manipulating or disabling the
   routing function, for example, by compromising routing control
   messages.  To this end, the routing protocol(s) MUST support
   message integrity.

  I'm not sure what the first SHOULD means in the second paragraph
means.  I would suggest combining and re-writing the two paragraphs to
make the intent clearer:

   An attacker can snoop, replay, or originate arbitrary messages to a
   node in an attempt to manipulate or disable the routing function.
   To this end, the HC-LLN MUST authenticate a new node prior to
   allowing it to participate in the routing decision process.  The
   routing protocol MUST support message integrity.

  I have no other comments.