Re: [secdir] I-D Action: draft-harkins-brainpool-ike-groups-00.txt

"Polk, William T." <william.polk@nist.gov> Tue, 28 August 2012 14:28 UTC

From: "Polk, William T." <william.polk@nist.gov>
To: "dharkins@arubanetworks.com" <dharkins@arubanetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:28:08 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-mimectl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V8.2.176.0
Cc: "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] I-D Action: draft-harkins-brainpool-ike-groups-00.txt

hi Dan,

Thanks for getting this work underway.

First observation: I think a reference to RFC 6090 is warranted.

Second Observation: 80 bit crypto is on its last legs.  Do we really need to specify curves with less than 112 bit strength?

Third Observation: The security considerations section does not address the security strength of 192 or 384 bit curves.  It feels incomplete, although I guess most readers can work it out for themselves.

General observation: my experience is that specifying so many curves dilutes implementer enthusiasm.  We finally started to get some interest in ECC support for FIPS 201 when we pared the list down from six curves in three families to two prime curves (P-256 and P-384).

Specifying two alternatives for each security level feels like an implementer's nightmare.  Are Brainpool implementations general enough to handle the normal and twisted curves at a particular level?  If the implementations are agnostic, maybe that should get noted in yout insecurity considerations.

Tim