Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra

Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk> Thu, 03 June 2010 12:31 UTC

From: Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:30:32 +0100
To: secdir-secretary@mit.edu
Cc: draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-v6ops-rogue-ra

Hi,

The document was originally being pushed through alongside Gunter's RA guard draft, with the Rogue RA text as the problem statement and Gunter's text as a/one solution.   Both have been somewhere in the upwards pipe towards publication for a year or so now, hence the expiry.   The RA guard draft was 'tickled' to keep it rom expiring, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ra-guard-05, so if Stig and I need to do the same for our draft, please let us know.

Regarding your comment on malicious attacks, that's a good observation, but the text was steered away from that direction in previous updates based on feedback from the WG (specifically the chart in Section 4 used to have a 'Malicious RA' column, which was later removed), so personally I'd rather not put that perspective back in the text and risk reopening the (same) WG discussion.

On your second point, yes, in theory, but you're pretty much stepping into multihomed host solutions which are rather out of scope for this draft.   For genuine multiple RAs (or RAs with multiple prefixes) there's also RFC3484 address selection.   What our draft basically says is that unintended RAs can cause 'badness', and here are some solutions to them that enterprise administrators could apply.

On the third point, yes, your assumption is correct.  We could make that more explicit.

It would be really great to get this text published, as it's been queued for quite a while, and it gets cited quite frequently along with RA Guard in various mailing list discussions.

Tim