Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke-07

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Tue, 07 September 2010 21:24 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:24:51 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: secdir@ietf.org, Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>, draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-sheffer-emu-eap-eke-07

  Hi Yaron,

  Actually what I was suggesting was to use the identities as the
"salt" to the extraction part of HKDF. So it would look like this:

       PRF := mac(ID_s | ID_p, P)
       KEY := mac+(PRF, "some application-specific string")
       DHComponent_S := Encr(KEY, y_s)

This may impact your desire to use a block cipher as "mac" but you can
do the same "truncation or zero-padding" trick you suggest below.

  Also, I'm not sure what value there is to storing the the mac'd
password since that value takes the place of the password to become
the authentication credential (EKE is not an asymmetric protocol
that can protect against server compromise by storing a transform
of the password) but whatever value you find in that practice can
only be enhanced by salting the value with the identities thereby
ensuring that users with identical passwords will not have identical
stored credentials.

  Dan.