[secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-6lo-nfc-13

Leif Johansson via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 07 March 2019 16:34 UTC

From: Leif Johansson via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-6lo-nfc.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, 6lo@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 08:34:40 -0800
Subject: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-6lo-nfc-13

Reviewer: Leif Johansson
Review result: Has Issues

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

I am not a subject matter expert but overall I find the document well
written and readable.

The issue I have is in the security considerations section where I
really think there should be normative language around the use
of permanent identifiers. In particular:

"Thus, every single touch connection can use a different short address of NFC
link with an extremely short-lived link.  This can mitigate address scanning
as well as location tracking and device-specific vulnerability exploitation."

This is imo too weak. I suggest reformulating this and related text to
normative language. Given the possible consequences of NFC correlation
attacks I would have thought that a mandatory requirement on generating
different short addresses for every link would be a good idea.