Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-webdav-bind-23

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de> Tue, 02 June 2009 12:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:26:12 +0200
From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>
To: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
Cc: webdav-chairs@tools.ietf.org, draft-ietf-webdav-bind@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-webdav-bind-23

Hi Tero,

Tero Kivinen wrote:
> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
> IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
> security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
> these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> This document adds binding extensions to the WebDAV. Binding
> extensions seem to be like hard links on unix file system i.e.
> providing multiple bindings for same resource (and resource is freed
> only when the last binding goes away).
>
> Security considerations section refers to the "HTTP/1.1 and the WebDAV
> Distributed Authoring Protocol specification" and says that all
> security considerations of them also applies to this document, but it
> does not give explicit references to the documents containing those
> security considerations.

I have fixed this in my copy of the draft; see
<http://www.webdav.org/bind/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-latest.html#rfc.issue.sec-cons-references>.
We can either produce a new draft after IESG review, or let this change
wait until AUTH48.

(My personal preference is to provide the RFC Editor with a draft that
has as few pending changes as possible).

> Bindings adds some new security concerns (privacy, loops, denial of
> service etc.), and those issues seem to be adequately covered by the
> security considerations section.
>
> One of the things I am not sure if it is really applicable here, but
> which is not covered by the security considerations section is that
> bindings might confuse administrator about access permissions. I.e.
> even when administrator revokes all change permissions from certain
> collection (i.e the user cannot change the data any more), if that
> collection has binding pointing to some other collection or resource
> where user still has permissions, the user might still be able to
> change resources in the first collection even when administrator
> believes he already removed permissions.
>
> I am not familiar enough with the WebDAV authorization model to know
> if this kind of attacks are possible or not, i.e. I do not know if the
> permissions are set per resource basis or for per collection or what.

RFC 3744 (WebDAV ACLs) defines access privileges per resource, not per
URI (see also
<http://www.webdav.org/bind/draft-ietf-webdav-bind-24.html#rfc.section.9>
and <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3744.html#rfc.section.5.p.2>).

Best regards, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782