Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-sipcore-info-events

Sandra Murphy <sandra.murphy@sparta.com> Sun, 25 April 2010 07:48 UTC

Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 03:41:59 -0400
From: Sandra Murphy <sandra.murphy@sparta.com>
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: secdir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-sipcore-info-events@tools.ietf.org, sipcore-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-sipcore-info-events

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, Adam Roach wrote:

> On 4/20/10 04:18, Apr 20, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> (Sorry for the tardy review;-)
>>
>> This specification sort-of provides a SIP-based tunnel
>> for application protocols.
>>
>> 1: What prevents (or allows detection of) insertion of
>> bogus Info Package specifications? (e.g. by a proxy). If
>> nothing, then why is this ok?
>>

> This is the general way that SIP works, and it applies to all the SIP header
> fields. It's not great, but proxies are implicitly trusted to do the right
> thing. If it's a problem for INFO, then it's a problem for everything that
> has ever used or will ever use SIP.

Aye, and therein lies the rub.  ;-}

In my usual broken-record nagging, insider failures are hard to protect
against, sometimes impossible.  But knowing just how bad things might get
(how much damage an insider failure could potentially cause) might be a
good idea.  It might inspire people to put strong operational controls in
place.  Buy a bigger liability policy.  Abandon all hope ye who enter
here.  etc.

When I made some similar comments on a different SIP draft a while back,
there was a discussion on the sip wg list of writing down somewhere what
the wg chair called the "please molest me" security model.  I didn't
follow the discussion to the end, so I don't know if that ever got past
the good intention stage and if so where the written down text ended up.

--Sandy