Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-kucherawy-authres-header-b-02

"Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com> Thu, 10 June 2010 04:38 UTC

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:38:11 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-kucherawy-authres-header-b-02

Hi Stephen, thanks for the review!

I had that in originally, but a LC reviewer suggested it be removed on the grounds that such a signature method is collision-prone, and thus this spec should try not to support it.  Instead, I think I'll add it back in with a new subsection in Security Considerations making this concern clear and reminding consumers that collisions must be ignored.

> 2. Apppendix A says:
>
>   "Presumably due to a change in one of the five header fields covered
>    by the two signatures, the former signature failed to verify while
>    the latter passed."
>
>    I think that could only happen if they use different c14n, if
>    so maybe say so. Or could be better to say the results may
>    differ due for key mgmt reasons (e.g. an inaccessible public key)
>    or because the signature values have been corrupted. Reason to
>    prefer those is that they're more likely. (Or am I missing
>    something?)

An inaccessible key produces a result of "neutral" or "temperror" (I forget which) so a "fail" would only be the former case of one c14n surviving while the other didn't.  I'll add a little more explanatory text to point that out.

Cheers,
-MSK