Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-06

Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no> Mon, 30 November 2009 17:41 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:42:30 +0100
From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Cc: Samuel Weiler <weiler@watson.org>, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-06

Samuel Weiler answers Alexey:
>>> Isn't it enough to have them in a consensus doc?")  And how do you
>>> expect the expert to encourage/enforce the SHOULD, given the
>>> "favour registering it over requiring perfect documentation"
>>> guideline?  Again, the current text isn't as clear as I'd like.
>>
>> This is intentional. This is a judgment call by the expert.
>
> This sounds inconsistent.  I'm hearing "it's within the scope of the
> expert's judgement to require an IETF Consensus doc" and "In cases
> when an IMAP Keyword being registered is already deployed, Expert
> Reviewers should favour registering it over requiring perfect
> documentation."  If I were an implementer who got told "you need a
> consensus doc", I'd be more than a little tempted to go ahead and
> deploy, then reapply for the registration.

That's now how it happens. The consensus issues mostly have been about
naming (different names for the same thing), and IMO were caused by
lack of knowledge/communication. Merely talking two the expert would
likely fix most.

Also, I'd like to mention that Lisa asked two people whether they could
serve; both of her nominees are people who would be likely to give
helpful answers, not send implementers away with one-sentence answer
such as "go write a consensus doc".

Arnt