Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-hanes-dispatch-fax-capability-06

David Hanes <dhanes@cisco.com> Fri, 11 January 2013 03:31 UTC

From: David Hanes <dhanes@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:31:49 -0500
To: Tom Yu <tlyu@MIT.EDU>
Cc: secdir@ietf.org, Kevin Fleming <kevin@kpfleming.us>, Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>, Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com>, iesg@ietf.org, draft-hanes-dispatch-fax-capability.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-hanes-dispatch-fax-capability-06

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delayed response but thanks for your review and feedback on the document.  This media feature tag has the effect of explicitly indicating a call *preference* to be fax; but there is no guarantee that it will end up that way (the re-INVITE SIP message later in the call flow is a much more accurate predictor that a call is of type fax).  Your question is reasonable since that simple fact could still seemingly simplify targeted attacks because chances are improved that the resultant call is indeed fax.  The truth is that SIP and SDP have various such media identification features so this is a persistent issue. Secondly, the reason for the umbrella reference to RCFC 3840 is that ANY media feature tag will be an explicitly indication of preference for a particular media type (speech, text, etc.). This draft merely registers a new value in a long list of other media feature tags but doesn't introduce any new Security Considerations that those others wouldn't have to address through the standard recommended privacy mechanisms (e.g., encryption, obfuscation, etc.).

Regards,
David