Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-09

Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net> Mon, 12 March 2012 16:45 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:44:54 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@bbiw.net>
To: Chris Lonvick <clonvick@cisco.com>
Cc: draft-melnikov-smtp-priority.all@tools.ietf.org, Murray Kucherawy <msk@cloudmark.com>, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-melnikov-smtp-priority-09

(copying Murray, in case he has further thoughts...)

On 3/11/2012 6:05 PM, Chris Lonvick wrote:
> I am concerned that this feature can disrupt the DKIM protection as noted in
> section 11.1. I see the problem here and I can't offer any suggestions to fix
> that. I think that the authors have done well to document this.

Predictably, the DKIM reference caught my attention.

I think the existing draft text in 11.1 is good.  I think it entirely reasonable
to leave it alone.

That said, since the concern about broken DKIM signatures is raised it's worth
at least considering adding more text.  However I think there's a challenge in
what that 'more' should be.

In general, the world is moving in a direction that is likely to impose
penalties when an origination DKIM signature is broken.  (I'm not happy about
that; I think it represents some problematic thinking about DKIM, but it is
nonetheless the direction things are going.)

The draft might suggest /not/ covering the MT-Priority: field with a signature.
  There is a common view that DKIM "protects" and or "validates" the fields it
covers.

Although DKIM obviously provides data integrity between the time of signing and
validating, DKIM semantics do not offer anything like authentication of
validation of the data that are signed.  It only validates the authorization of
the associated identifier (sdid, d=), with the message it is attached to.

As such, having MT-Priority: be outside a signature probably isn't that onerous,
unless there is a serious threat of in-transit header field modification attacks.

Arguably, it's better to have the agent assigning priority be the one to sign.
In the case of revising the priority, that's not the originator.  This is only
problematic for cases that demand origination signatures (usually translating
into requiring the DKIM sdid (d=) value be the same as, for example, the
rfc5322.From domain.

There is private pursuit of a specification that allows intermediaries that
break DKIM signatures to report that they were valid before being broken.  For
this mechanism to be useful, there needs to be transitive trust between the
intermediary and the validating receiver.  But, as I say, that's work in
progress.  Although it sounds appealing, I've no idea how useful it will
actually prove to be.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker