Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement-10

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com> Sun, 30 June 2013 00:26 UTC

To: Tom Yu <tlyu@mit.edu>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 20:25:28 -0400
Cc: draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement.all@tools.ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, curtis@ipv6.occnc.com
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement-10

Tom,

See inline, at the bottom.

In message <ldvppv7qhws.fsf@cathode-dark-space.mit.edu>
Tom Yu writes:

> Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com> writes:
>
> > The entire one paragraph section is:
> >
> >    This document specifies a set of requirements.  The requirements
> >    themselves do not pose a security threat.  If these requirements are
> >    met using MPLS signaling as commonly practiced today with
> >    authenticated but unencrypted OSPF-TE, ISIS-TE, and RSVP-TE or LDP,
> >    then the requirement to provide additional information in this
> >    communication presents additional information that could conceivably
> >    be gathered in a man-in-the-middle confidentiality breach.  Such an
> >    attack would require a capability to monitor this signaling either
> >    through a provider breach or access to provider physical transmission
> >    infrastructure.  A provider breach already poses a threat of numerous
> >    tpes of attacks which are of far more serious consequence.  Encrption
> >    of the signaling can prevent or render more difficult any
> >    confidentiality breach that otherwise might occur by means of access
> >    to provider physical transmission infrastructure.
> >
> > What is meant by "man-in-the-middle confidentiality breach" is a
> > man-in-the-middle situation in which the extent of damage is loss of
> > confidentiality due to routing protocols generally being authenticated
> > but in the clear, in this case the OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE.  This is no
> > different, except now additional information is present, such as
> > delay.  Providers already feel that topology is sensitive information
> > that they would prefer competitors didn't have and delay would be at
> > least as sensitive.
>
> Readers with security backgrounds would assume that
> "man-in-the-middle" refers to an active attack (see RFC 4949).  I
> suggest removing that phrase, because it seems that in your
> "authenticated but unencrypted" case, a passive attack is sufficient
> to compromise confidentiality, and implying an active attack is
> confusing to the reader.
>
> > The sentence in question is the first third "If these requirements are
> > met using MPLS signaling as commonly practiced today with
> > authenticated but unencrypted OSPF-TE, ISIS-TE, and RSVP-TE or LDP,
> > then the requirement to provide additional information in this
> > communication presents additional information that could conceivably
> > be gathered in a man-in-the-middle confidentiality breach."
>
> Is the additional information of equal, greater, or lesser value than
> the information exchanged with the existing routing and signaling
> protocols?  Does it add nontrivial value (to an attacker) to the
> existing information that the routing and signaling protocols already
> exchange?  If an attacker can manipulate the additional information,
> e.g., delay measurements, can there be results such as routing
> instabilities?
>
> If such harmful results can occur from manipulation of the additional
> information that this document specifies, it seems that would require
> a minimum of an authenticated integrity-protected channel (or
> [...]

This paragraph is accurate.  The two sentences above, plus this
paragraph will replace the existing security section.

As you alreay know, this document will be going back to WGLC due to
the nature of the changes called for in the RtgDir review, which IMHO
greatly improve the document.

Thanks again for the review,

Curtis