Re: [secdir] Fwd: timing of reviews

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 10 July 2013 13:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:59:14 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Fwd: timing of reviews

Hi folks,

Coming back to this topic and thanks for the feedback. This is on
as a management item for tomorrow's IESG telechat. The IESG won't
be putting in place any new rule or dictat then but we'll try to
move things along some.

I plan to say the following:

"Secdir reviewers expressed a willingness to carry out reviews at
WGLC time where a specific request from the relevant WG chair is
made. We'd like to try this out for a bit with some drafts and
see how it goes for a few months and not immediately start getting
review requests for everything at WGLC. If WG chairs select "more
baked" drafts for this it may work better. If a WG chair asks
for a review for a document that's really not ready for secdir
then a "not baked" review may well be the sole response. (We
do understand that starting a WGLC on a not-yet-baked draft is
a valid thing for a WG chair to do sometimes, but those are
maybe not good drafts for which to ask for a secdir review.)
Given that the hit-rate for secdir reviews is about 80% WG
chairs should understand that there's a roughly 20% chance that
they won't get a secdir review, and there's a chance that the
review might not be received before the end of WGLC, but that's
still leaves a good probabailty of getting a very useful and
timely review.

For now, the simplest mechanics for this are for the WG chair
to mail sec-ads@ietf.org, cc'ing secdir-secretary@mit.edu and
asking that draft-foo, which is starting WGLC, be put into
the secdir review rotation."

There's no need to wordsmith that since its not a formal
statement of anything, but if there are any major issues it'd
be great to hear about those today/tomorrow. And since
we'll work it out as we go anyway, there's no need to panic:-)

Cheers and thanks again for all the continuing good work,
S.