Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-sfc-architecture-08

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Tue, 26 May 2015 21:23 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 17:22:58 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sfc-architecture.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-sfc-architecture-08

Given the expected construction and usage for this, if we rite into the
archtiecture that encryption and authentication of data plane messages
are mandatory, then
presumably we will also write such "mandatory" mechanisms into the data
plane mechanism we specify.

At which point we are writing a specification which will be widely
ignored.

Given that we are talking about passing packets through a series of
service functions, requiring encryption between them causes a drastic
increase in complexity and latency.  As far as I can tell from the way
customers expect to use this, it is simply unacceptable.  For inter-DC
(or POP<->DC) operators who wish to protect that traffic wil likely want
to do so whether or not they are using service chaining.  As such, the
protection is not a service chaining issue.

So, sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you Simon.

Yours,
Joel