[secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding-08

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Wed, 05 April 2017 20:47 UTC

From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 13:47:53 -0700
Subject: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding-08

Reviewer: Robert Sparks
Review result: Ready

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

Document : draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding-08

(except perhaps for one recommendation)

This document defines a content encoding for encrypting the contents
of an HTTP message that
facilitates storing the encrypted contents and decrypting the content
for rendering incrementally
(before the full content is received). The draft is clear, and
implementation should be straightforward.
It's security considerations section is detailed.

I did not verify the math that went into the provided examples.

My only concern is that the document suggests it would be ok to use a
counter to provide a unique salt value
for each message. I suspect that provides the kind of information leak
the draft discusses avoiding.

I also pointed out a couple of nits to the editor, and those are
addressed already in his working copy (on github).