Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

<toby.moncaster@bt.com> Wed, 02 September 2009 09:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:18:06 +0100
From: toby.moncaster@bt.com
To: slblake@petri-meat.com, magnusn@gmail.com
Cc: secdir@ietf.org, philip.eardley@bt.com, bob.briscoe@bt.com, sob@harvard.edu, menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05

Hi Magnus,

As Steve said, thanks for reviewing the document. We did consider having a list of abbreviations at the start (and still do give the key definitions and their abbreviations). I would be happy to add a separate list of abbreviations if it was felt this would add clarity to the document.

As to injecting PCN-marked within the network: PCN is very clearly defined as working in a trusted environment where all nodes are expected to work together. So the only ways that PCN-marked packets might enter the PCN-domain mistakenly are

1) If there is a misconfigured or otherwise "broken" node in the PCN-domain. It was felt that this is very firmly an implementation and operator management issue and thus beyond the scope of this document.

2) If a PCN-boundary node was misconfigured and mistakenly allowed in a PCN-marked packet or mistakenly set the mark itself. This again was felt to be a matter for the implementers and operators of the PCN-domain.

Having said that I would be happy to add a couple of sentence such as the following:

"Although spurious PCN-marks can only enter the domain as a result of misconfiguration, operators might wish to be aware of the potential impact of these marks. The precise impact will depend on which of the various proposed edge behaviour schemes is used, but in general such spurious marks will lead to either admitting fewer flows into the domain or possibly terminating too many flows. In either case good management should be able to quickly spot that there is a problem since the utilisation of the links in the domain will quickly drop off."

Toby