[secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1-07

Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com> Wed, 18 November 2009 18:21 UTC

From: Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:21:09 -0500
Cc: draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] SECDIR review of draft-ietf-pkix-new-asn1-07

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This document updates the ASN.1 descriptions of several security-
relevant data objects (e.g., CMS messages and S/MIME objects) from the
1988 version of ASN.1 to the 2002 version, without changing the
structure expressed by these definitions -- there are no changes to
bits on the wire.  The document correctly states that this document
itself creates no security issues, because it makes no changes to any
protocols (it simply expresses the structure of those protocols in a
different, updated syntax).  The only minor concern I have is to be
sure that the above claims about the lack of changes are true, i.e.,
that the ASN.1 syntax is correct.  To ensure this correctness, I would
recommend an expert review focused on the ASN.1, if one has not
already been done.

--Richard