[secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-as-instanceid-05

Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com> Fri, 08 December 2017 02:33 UTC

From: Daniel Migault <daniel.migault@ericsson.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-as-instanceid.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 18:33:24 -0800
Subject: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-atarius-dispatch-meid-urn-as-instanceid-05

Reviewer: Daniel Migault
Review result: Ready

Hi,

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

The summary of the review is Ready

Some comments / questions:

1.  Introduction

   This specification specifies how the URN namespace reserved for 3GPP2
   identities and its NSS for the MEID as specified in draft-atarius-
   dispatch-meid-urn [8] can be used as an instance-id as specified in
   RFC 5626 [2] and also as used by RFC 5627 [3].

<mglt> I think it would be good to have the acronyms (URN, 3GPP2, NSS,
MEID) expanded in the introduction section as it is being done in the
abstract.</mglt>

   3GPP2 defines High Rate Packet Data (HRPD) with high data rates and
   it dispenses with the 1x Circuit Switched (1xCS) infrastructure.
   This means that with HRPD networks, voice calls will need to be
   conducted using IP and IMS.  However, the transition to all IP, SIP
   based IMS networks worldwide will take a great many years from the
   time of this writing and mobile devices will need to operate in both
   IP/SIP/IMS mode and circuit switched mode.  This means that calls and
   sessions will need to be handed over between IP/SIP/IMS mode and
   circuit switched mode mid-call or mid-session.  To achieve this the
   mobile device needs to be simultaneously attached via both the
   IP/SIP/IMS domain and the circuit switched domain.

<mglt> I am questioning whether "registered" would not be better
appropriated than "attached". My reading of attached is a dual
radio case while "register" seems to include the single radio.
I might be wrong as well.</mglt>