Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-opsawg-nat-yang-14

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 18 June 2018 11:13 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 11:13:38 +0000
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-opsawg-nat-yang-14

[Med] This is deployment-specific. For example, a CGN which is configured to behave in port deterministic behavior (RFC7422) instead of another port assignment scheme does not need to enable logging since the internal IP address/port(-range) is a function of the external IP address/port(-range).

 Or maybe you're
> not calling that logging? (I think that maybe also illustrates
> that as-is, this is currently not very well defined.)
>
> > The transition for F to T is
> > more problematic as it requires additional information to be
> > available (e.g., logging server IP address and port, credentials,
> > ...). The document assumes that data is provisioned using other
> > specific modules (syslog, ipfix, etc.).
>
> I suspect that there'd also be a need for information about
> data retention duration and scope, for logging that is local
> to the NAT box.

[Med] Typically, data retention duration is not handled at the NAT itself but as part of a "dedicated" platform that is used to gather logging information from various sources in a network.

> >> I think that illustrates
> >> the under-specification here. The simplest thing might be to really
> >> make logging out of scope here by deleting the logging-enable thing
> >> entirely. (I can imagine that reaching consensus on a logging
> >> control interface would be non-trivial,
> >
> > [Med] There is already RFC 8158.
> >
> >> hence the suggestion to really put it out of scope rather than try
> >> specify it fully.)
> >>

> > [Med] If, with the above clarification, you maintain your comment,
> > then I don't have any objection to remove that optional feature from
> > the module. Please advise.
>
> Well, mine is just a secdir review - you're not forced to do
> anything at all about it (unless some AD decides that you need
> to). But FWIW, yes, I do think it'd be better to drop that from
> this draft, and maybe consider working on some other interface
> to handle it better.

[Med] ACK.