Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-sipcore-199-02 - Samuel's comments

Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Fri, 05 February 2010 07:10 UTC

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Samuel Weiler <weiler@watson.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 08:11:37 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-ietf-sipcore-199@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-sipcore-199@tools.ietf.org>, "sipcore-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <sipcore-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-sipcore-199-02 - Samuel's comments

Hi,

Below are my replies to Samuel's comments.

>This defines an intermediate "we're done" response, allowing
>parties to tear down some state, while still requiring a
>final response.
>
>The obvious risk (forging these, just like forging a TCP
>reset) is documented.
>
>Even though the point of the 199 response is to allow early
>resource release, I notice that some state is still being
>maintained for these sessions.  It might be worth explicitly
>reminding readers of when they can timeout (is there a
>timeout specified somewhere?).

The 199 response only tears down a specific early dialog within a session (during the setup phase of a session there may be multiple early dialogs), but the session itself, and all other early dialog within it, are unaffected. For those normal RFC 3261 procedures apply.

--------------

>I'm also a little worried about the implications of one party
>or another trying to continue the dialog, perhaps
>maliciously, after sending or receiving one of these.  What
>if one of these were used to disable a monitoring or billing
>system, but the parties continued to use the open session?
>(Compare to sending a weak C-tone on a wiretapped PSTN line.)

That is of course possible, but in my opinion it is possible in SIP already without this, using other responses and requests which tears down a dialog or session. The protocol itself does not prevent users from continue to send media using the parameters (IP address/port, codecs etc) that thay have negotiated for the session.

So, if one wants to prevent this from happening, some policy procedures need to be applied in the network.

>Editorial:
>
>Please expand the acronyms in the abstract.  (The id-nits
>checklist says the abstract "Should be meaningful to someone
>not versed in the technology; most abbreviations must be
>expanded on first use.")

Sure, I'll fix that.

Regards,

Christer