[secdir] SecDir Review of draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace-01

Catherine A Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil> Thu, 04 October 2018 15:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 11:15:45 -0400
From: Catherine A Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace.all@ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] SecDir Review of draft-ietf-extra-imap-replace-01

Reviewer:  Catherine Meadows

Review Result: Ready With Nits

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the

security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This draft defines an extension to IMAP that allows a REPLACE command and extends the UID command to UID REPLACE.

Previously, replaces were done by using three commands in sequence:  APPEND, STORE, and EXPUNGE.  This was non-atomic, however, and failure of one of the commands could leave messages in intermediate states that could be seen and acted on by clients.

The Security Considerations section reads:

This document is believed to add no security problems beyond those that may already exist with the base IMAP specification.

I would actually go further than that:   the REPLACE command may actually prevent some potential security problems because it prevents some atomicity failures that could possibly be exploited by an attacker.

If this is an appropriate for the Security Considerations Section I would urge the authors to include a statement to that effect after the sentence that says the document adds no security problems.

Catherine Meadows

Naval Research Laboratory

Code 5543

4555 Overlook Avenue