[secdir] Review of draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments-07

Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> Wed, 12 October 2011 07:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 02:05:27 -0500
From: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
To: secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] Review of draft-ietf-ccamp-wson-impairments-07

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This document targets the informative (FYI) track and describes a
framework for applying GMPLS protocols to handle information about
link quality (my words) based on "Impairment Aware Routing and
Wavelength Assignment (IA-RWA)".  Given the document's intended status
and the fact that no protocols as such are specified, it would seem
that the sparse security considerations section should suffice, except
that it's not clear whether active attacks are of concern (the
security considerations section concenrs itself mostly with privacy
concerns).  A few words on the potential for active attacks would be
useful, particularly for the non-initiate.

The I-D is not properly formatted (e.g., the abstract is not on the
first page, and plenty of other formatting errors follow).  Assuming
that these errors are corrected and that the security considerations
section is updated as indicated above, I think this I-D should be
ready.

Nico