[secdir] review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com> Thu, 07 January 2010 21:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:38:14 -0500
To: secdir@ietf.org
From: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>
Cc: ajs@shinkuro.com, dol@cryptocom.ru, ogud@ogud.com, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: [secdir] review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05

I reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

Since several SECDIR members are reviewing
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-gost-05 I have chosen to focus on one aspect
of the document, i.e., the statement that support for GOST algorithms
is a SHOULD (Section 6.1) for all DNSSEC aware implementations. I
think this is an inappropriate characterization for the level of
support that ought to be accorded an algorithm of this type. I
explain my rationale for this assertion below.

GOST is an example of what I would term a "national" crypto
algorithm. I characterize an algorithm as "national" if use of the
algorithm is mandated by a government (within its sphere of
influence, for some or all application contexts), but the algorithm
otherwise is not widely adopted. The GOST set of algorithms are one
such example. Others (chosen form the space of symmetric algorithms)
include Camellia (Japan), SKIPJACK (US), SEED (Korea), and SMS4
(China, for WAPI). AES and DES are not "national"  algorithms.  Even
though they were published by NIST as FIPS, both were very widely
adopted outside of the national context in which use is (was)
mandated. This illustrates that the designation of an algorithm as
"national" can change over time.

Other IETF WGs (e.g., IPsec, S/MIME, OPGP, and TLS) have adopted a
policy of publishing RFCs that describe how to use one or more
national algorithms in the context of a protocol. However, in these
WGs, support for the algorithm is optional, i.e., a MAY in RFC 2119
parlance. These RFCs define how to use a national algorithm IF one
chooses to implement it. They do not require support for the
algorithm by making it a SHOULD or MUST. This approach allows the
IETF to publish RFCs that deal with a wide range of crypto algorithms
(national and otherwise) without prejudice, without engaging in a
protracted debate about whether all of these algorithms are equally
"worthy" etc. These WGs also define a small number of mandatory (MUST
or SHOULD), non-national algorithms, to promote interoperability.

I think the convention adopted by other WGs is appropriate for DNESEC
as well. As a result, I suggest that this document be modified to
specify support for GOST algorithms as a MAY.