Re: [secdir] Security Review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161-update-09.txt

Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com> Thu, 07 January 2010 11:19 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:19:31 +0100
From: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>
To: pat cain <pcain2@mail2.coopercain.com>, draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161-update@tools.ietf.org, "Pope, Nick" <Nick.Pope@thales-esecurity.com>
Cc: pkix-chairs@tools.ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Security Review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc3161-update-09.txt

Pat,

I think you may have misunderstood the issue this draft is addressing.
Including ESSCertIDv2 does not mean adding another signature with different
strength.

ESSCertID and ESSCertIDv2 are just different certificate identifiers for the
same certificate used to validate the same signature. The only difference is
that the identifier in ESSCertIDv2 is done with a stronger hash (and
includes a hash alg identifier) than the one in ESSCertID.

I don't see any problem with including both. How to deal with that is
defined by, and an issue for, S/MIME rather than this specification.

/Stefan