Re: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-08

Atsushi Kobayashi <akoba@nttv6.net> Mon, 22 March 2010 03:29 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:29:24 +0900
From: Atsushi Kobayashi <akoba@nttv6.net>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com>
Cc: akoba@nttv6.net, "draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement.all@tools.ietf.org>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-ipfix-mediators-problem-statement-08

Dear Yaron,

After discussing with co-author, I will rewrite security consideration
section as follows. I think this version covers your concerns.

You can see the difference between the current and new version.
http://www.nttv6.net/~akoba/wdiff-ps08-ps09-02.htm

I would like to receive your go-ahead before IPFIX meeting within Monday.
Is it OK?

--------------------
8.  Security Considerations

   A flow-based measurement system must prevent potential security
   threats: the disclosure of confidential traffic data, injection of
   incorrect data, and unauthorized access to traffic data.  These
   security threats of the IPFIX protocol are covered by the security
   considerations section in [RFC5101] and are still valid for IPFIX
   Mediators.

   A measurement system must also prevent the following security threats
   related to IPFIX Mediation:

   o  Attacks against an IPFIX Mediator

      IPFIX Mediators can be considered as a prime target for attacks,
      as an alternative to IPFIX Exporters and Collectors.  IPFIX
      Proxies or Masquerading Proxies need to prevent unauthorized
      access or denial-of-service (DoS) attacks from untrusted public
      networks.

   o  Man-in-the-middle attack by untrusted IPFIX Mediator

      The Exporter-Mediator-Collector structure model could be misused
      for man-in-the-middle attack.

   o  Configuration on IPFIX Mediation

      An accidental misconfiguration and unauthorized access to
      configuration data could lead to the crucial problem of disclosure
      of confidential traffic data.

   o  Privacy concerns on an IPFIX Mediator

      The probability to get specific user's traffic generally increases
      by increasing the number of Observation Points.  An IPFIX Mediator
      collecting Flow Records from multiple Observation Points
      potentially raises the risk for privacy.  The IPFIX Mediator needs
      to apply appropriately anonymization or aggregation function to
      Data Records to avoid the risk for privacy, when the purpose of
      traffic measurement is not to monitor specific user's traffic
      trend.

      On the other hand, an IPFIX Mediator needs to identify the user's
      identifier, e.g., IP addess, VLAN ID, MAC address, and etc., when
      feeding user's traffic data to an user own dedicated IPFIX
      Collector.  If the IPFIX Mediator can not identify each user, it
      may need to drop the Flow Records.

   o  Confidentiality protection via an IPFIX Mediator

      To ensure confidentiality of Data Records, its transport for Data
      Records should use Transport Layer Security (TLS) [RFC4346] or
      Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) [RFC4347].  However, an
      IPFIX Collector can not know whether received Data Records are
      transported as encrypted data between an Original Exporter and an
      IPFIX Mediator.  If this information is required on the IPFIX
      Collector, it must be encoded in the IPFIX Mediator.

   o  Certification for an Original Exporter

      An IPFIX Collector communicating via an IPFIX Mediator can not
      verify the identity of an Original Exporter directly.  If an
      Original Exporter and an IPFIX Collector are located in different
      administrative domains, an IPFIX Collector can not trust its Data
      Records.  If this information is required on the IPFIX Collector,
      it must be encoded in the IPFIX Mediator.

Regards,
Atsushi

--
Atsushi Kobayashi <akoba@nttv6.net>