Re: [secdir] sectdir review of draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag-08

Hannes Gredler <hannes@gredler.at> Fri, 22 April 2016 07:34 UTC

To: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>, secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag.all@ietf.org
From: Hannes Gredler <hannes@gredler.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 09:34:18 +0200
Subject: Re: [secdir] sectdir review of draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag-08

catherine,

i fail to see how this does introduce *new* security concerns.

background:

we have in IS-IS two existing tagging mechanism's:

1) admin-groups for links

2) prefix-tags for prefixes

both "tagging-spaces" are local administered and have
no global significance.

the purpose of draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag-08 is to
add support for a third tagging method which allows tagging
of an entire node using local administered tagging space.
(same operational spirit as in 1) and 2) )

now my question(s):

- why is adding of an local-administered tag with no implied
   semantics considered to be security relevant ?

- what specific (apparently mis-)wording in
   draft-ietf-isis-node-admin-tag makes you think
   it is security relevant ?

/hannes