Re: [secdir] [DNSOP] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Tue, 08 December 2020 14:56 UTC

To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>, Ondřej Surý <ondrej@isc.org>
Cc: last-call@ietf.org, draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies.all@ietf.org, dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>, secdir@ietf.org
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 14:56:23 +0000
Subject: Re: [secdir] [DNSOP] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-04

Hiya,

(I wouldn't put that much store on my specific response, but
since you asked...)

On 08/12/2020 01:23, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> Hi Ondřej,
>
> Thanks for this detailed writeup; it really helps bring clarity to the
> current situation.
>
> In light of the follow-ups from others, it seems that there are actually
> two distinct but somewhat entangled issues:
>
> (1) whether SipHash is a strong cryptographic hash function that delivers
> its stated properties.

Right. And whether there are any oddities, e.g. ways in which
one ought not use the algorithm. Asking about that is IMO a
good plan because once this gets used somewhere it'll be used
again elsewhere so I'd prefer we know if/when that's ok or
not. (Additionally, I'll admit a slight personal bias against
adding new algorithms where we have existing ones that are
fine - I figure that just costs more and damages interop for
little or no benefit. That could be outweighed though if the
new alg is already implemented and deployed for the purpose
in question and/or if it's widely available in libraries.)

> (2) whether the stated properties of SipHash are appropriate for the
> scenario we are using it for in this document.

For DNS cookies, I'd say it'd be very unlikely that this is
not ok.

Cheers,
S.