Re: [secdir] sec-dir review of draft-ietf-siprec-architecture-08

Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com> Thu, 24 October 2013 14:54 UTC

From: Derek Atkins <derek@ihtfp.com>
To: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@unify.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:53:26 -0400
Cc: "leon.portman@gmail.com" <leon.portman@gmail.com>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "krehor@cisco.com" <krehor@cisco.com>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "siprec-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <siprec-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "rajnish.jain@outlook.com" <rajnish.jain@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [secdir] sec-dir review of draft-ietf-siprec-architecture-08

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I personally feel that there is a big difference between the
interactive, real-time SIP components versus a service that is
specifically designed to record and replay content later.  The key
management of the real-time components is all immediate, there is no
storage required, once the keys get to the endpoints you're done and all
you do is transmit encrypted content.

However a storage system has significantly different requirements.  It
has to store the keys that protect the content, and it must store those
keys securely.  It then has to be able to securely distribute those keys
only to authorized receipients.

So yes, I think it is important to talk about at least the requirements
for what the recording agent MUST do, even if you don't necessarily
specify HOW the agent must do it.  E.g. I think it's okay to say
something like "the stored content must be protected using a cipher at
least as strong (or stronger) than the original content" -- i.e., you
don't need to specify "you MUST use AES-256".  Yet I still think you
need to talk about the key management requirements of the storage (and
more importantly retrieval).

Thanks,

-derek