Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-17

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Wed, 22 August 2012 04:12 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch@tools.ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:05:00 +0800
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-17

Hi,Tena:
The security section of monarch draft is consistent with RFC3611 and doesn't conflict with the security section of RFC3611.
The 2nd paragraph in security section of monarch draft,  it talks about sensitive information exposting, which said:
"
   In RTP sessions, a RTP system may use its own SSRC to send its
   monitoring reports towards its next-neighbour RTP system.  Other RTP
   system in the session may have a choice as to whether they forward
   this RTP system's RTCP packets.  This present a security issue since
   the information in the report may be exposed by the other RTP system
   to any malicious node.  Therefore if the information is considered as
   sensitive, the monitoring report should be encrypted.

"
the resolution is to use encryption.

In the 6th paragraph in security section of RFC3611, it talks about disadvantage of encryption of
XR block, which said:
"
   Any encryption or filtering of XR report blocks entails a loss of
   monitoring information to third parties.  For example, a network that
   establishes a tunnel to encrypt VoIP Report Blocks denies that
   information to the service providers traversed by the tunnel.  The
   service providers cannot then monitor or respond to the quality of
   the VoIP calls that they carry, potentially creating problems for the
   network's users.  As a default, XR packets should not be encrypted or
   filtered.
"
RFC3611 said, it is at default to set XR packet no encrypted. But it doesn't say encryption is prohibited in any circumstance.

To clear your confusion to this, I like to propose the following change to the 2nd paragraph in security section of monarch draft
OLD TEXT:
"
Therefore if the information is considered as
 sensitive, the monitoring report should be encrypted.
"

NEW TEXT:
"
Therefore if the information is considered as
sensitive, encryption of the monitoring report is recommended.
"
Hope this addresses your comments.

Regards!
-Qin