Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option

tglassey <tglassey@earthlink.net> Fri, 08 June 2012 14:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 07:23:33 -0700
From: tglassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: "t.p." <daedulus@btconnect.com>
Cc: draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option@tools.ietf.org, ietf <ietf@ietf.org>, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-sakane-dhc-dhcpv6-kdc-option

On 6/8/2012 3:37 AM, t.p. wrote:
> Just to make public what I have hinted at privately, I think that steps
> in section 4.1 may be somewhat underspecified.
>
> They give the logic a client, one which supports both DHCP and DNS,
> should
> follow in order to find a KDC, with DNS information being preferred.
Yes, this is because the DNS auth models are better than DHCP today AFAIK.
> One scenario outlined in section 1 is of a user having entered userid
> and
> passphrase and waiting to be authenticated.  The steps imply a number of
> timeouts in succession without specifying what balance to take of how
> long
> to wait for a server to respond versus how long to keep the user
> waiting.
True but this is likely to be set in the client as a flat config value
one would think.

And if so this is actually a good thing you bring up Tom. My take is
that from a policy management standpoint the  timeout period should be a
"policy level" control IMHO and should have both a default value and a
method of overriding it to allow people when they need to  to create a
more "synchronous" expectation from a responder.
> I would find it difficult to know what balance to strike without
> guidance.
>
> A related issue is that section 4.1 prefers DNS to DHCP for Kerberos
> information but the Security Considerations stress the weakness of
> DHCP and recommend authenticating DHCP.  What if DHCP is secure
> and DNS is not?  Should DNS still be preferred?
DNSSEC is clearly beyond DHCP security models so perhaps for a working
system this makes sense unless you want to create an autonomous DNS
client which can exist in a pre-boot model.

Pardon my restating the obvious but "Still the issue is that DNS
services dont work until they are loaded and DHCP is designed to work
from a firmware boot (as we all know)".

How does this fit into what NEA is supposed to provide as a baseline?