Re: [secdir] Secdir Review of draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam-06

<david.black@emc.com> Sun, 29 July 2012 06:00 UTC

From: david.black@emc.com
To: alexey.melnikov@isode.com, secdir@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam.all@tools.ietf.org
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:00:20 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: david.black@emc.com
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir Review of draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-sam-06

Hi Alexey,

Thank you for this review.

> One thing that
> might be missing is some text about abuse of the priority field to
> perform Denial-of-service or to gain better service.

That would be a good security consideration to add.

> The document can't decide which RFC for iSCSI it is referencing... Which
> one should be used in the new IANA registries created?

Part of what's going on here is that it's not possible to move the replaced
RFCs to historic anytime soon, so RFC 3720 will be a reference for some
iSCSI implementations for many years to come, and it is appropriate to
reference it as the original specification of iSCSI.

That said, I think you've found a couple of things that need attention:
- I think a check of all the references is needed.  One subtlety is that
	the -sam- draft is intended to also be usable with RFC 3720 and
	RFC 5048, but there should be more citations of the consolidated
	draft in the body of the -sam- draft.
- A bunch of IANA text was added to the consolidated draft recently, and
	that includes instructions to IANA about what to reference in the
	registries.  It looks like that set of changes wasn't carried over
	to the new "iSCSI Task Management Response Codes" registry.
We'll get these sorted out - thank you for noticing this concern.

> Repeating the list of Task Management Functions defined in another
> document is not a good idea. What if another extension adds additional
> functions?

The primary IETF reference for that is actually an IANA registry, and that
list is actually defined in SAM-2, a SCSI standard.  Nonetheless, I believe
that you're correct, that the list of existing Task Management Functions
in Section 6.1 isn't needed.

Thanks,
--David