Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-netconf-partial-lock-09.txt

"Tom.Petch" <sisyphus@dial.pipex.com> Thu, 13 August 2009 10:45 UTC

From: "Tom.Petch" <sisyphus@dial.pipex.com>
To: Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net>, secdir@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netconf-partial-lock@tools.ietf.org
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:59:40 +0200
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir review of draft-ietf-netconf-partial-lock-09.txt

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Hanna" <shanna@juniper.net>
To: <iesg@ietf.org>; <secdir@ietf.org>; <ietf@ietf.org>;
<draft-ietf-netconf-partial-lock@tools.ietf.org>
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 4:28 PM

> ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
> IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
> security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
> these comments just like any other last call comments.
>
> This document defines optional partial-lock and partial-unlock
> operations to be added to the NETCONF protocol. These operations
> are used to lock only part of a configuration datastore, allowing
> multiple management sessions to modify the configuration of a
> device at a single time.
>
> The Security Considerations section of the document highlights
> the risk that a malicious party might employ partial locks to
> impede access to a device's configuration. Therefore, it states
> "Only an authenticated and authorized user can request a partial
> lock." Unfortunately, I cannot find any normative text (MUST)
> that supports this statement. The NETCONF spec (RFC 4741) says
> "NETCONF connections must be authenticated" but this is not
> clearly normative. Perhaps a NETCONF expert can point to some
> normative text requiring authentication and authorization for
> any party requesting a partial lock. If not, I suggest that
> such normative text be added to the partial-lock specification.

As a participant in netconf, I see authorization as one of those topics
which the Working Group sees as necessary but cannot be tackled just
yet.  As RFC4741 says,
"  This document does not specify an authorization scheme, as such a
   scheme should be tied to a meta-data model or a data model."
and as yet, there is no data model; hence, no authorization, not yet,
nor, IMHO, for some time to come.  In the light of this, I am not sure
what adding a normative statement to this I-D would do; delay
publication sine die?

Tom Petch