Re: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-6man-dns-options-bis-03

Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr> Tue, 20 July 2010 10:25 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 12:24:28 +0200
From: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr>
To: Jaehoon Jeong <pjeong@Brocade.com>
Sender: secdir-bounces@mit.edu
Cc: 6man Chairs <6man-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, secdir@mit.edu, draft-ietf-6man-dns-options-bis all <draft-ietf-6man-dns-options-bis.all@tools.ietf.org>, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>, IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-6man-dns-options-bis-03

Dear authors,

First of all, sorry for this late answer.

Otherwise I read -06 version and I'm now happy with modifications
made in Section 5.3.

Concerning Section 7 "Security Considerations", I still find the
current text confusing (sorry):

- there is no clear discussion of what are the additional
  threats specific to the proposed RDNSS/DNSSL.
  Instead I see a discussion explaining that the situation is
  not worse than before because an attacker can launch other
  types of attacks on ND. You're right and you can mention this
  quickly, but do not limit yourself to such a discussion.

- the new text on SEND is much better. However there is no
  explicit recommendation (no RECOMMENDED/SHOULD keyword).
  How should I understand this? Is it deliberate? Why?

So I suggest that you add two subsections (with a suggested
structure):
    7.1. Security threats
         <specific attacks on RDNSS/DNSSL>
         <how to launch them (rogue router or forged packets)>
         <in fact the situation is not worse than ND or DHCP
          attacks>
    7.2. Recommendations
         <port filtering in case of wired networks is RECOMMENDED>
         <mitigation at the DNS resolver is RECOMMENDED>
         <SEND is RECOMMENDED>

NB: In paragraph discussing filtering on switches:
"is recommended" -> "is RECOMMENDED"

NB2: I wouldn't like to give you the feeling that I set myself
against you, this is not my goal.

Cheers,

   Vincent