Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-turner-md2-to-historic-05

Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com> Mon, 18 October 2010 19:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:02:56 -0400
From: Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>
To: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>
Cc: draft-turner-md2-to-historic.all@tools.ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-turner-md2-to-historic-05

Catherine,

Thanks for your review.

How about I make the following two changes:

1) In Section 1, add something to provide a better characterization of
the collision-resistance:

OLD:

  Since its publication, MD2 has been shown to not be collision-free
  [ROCH1995][KNMA2005][ROCH1997] and shown to have successful
  pre-image attacks [KNMA2005][MULL2004][KMM2010].

NEW:

  Since its publication, MD2 has been shown to not be collision-free
  [ROCH1995][KNMA2005][ROCH1997], albeit successful pre-image attacks
  for properly implement MD2 are not that damaging. MD2 has also been
  shown to have successful pre-image and second-preimage attacks
  [KNMA2005[MULL2004][KMM2010].

2) In section 6, align the last sentence of the second paragraph and
the 1st sentence of paragraph 3:

OLD:

  .., which is not significantly better than the birthday attack.

  Even though collision attacks on MD2 are not more powerful than
  the  birthday attack, MD2 was found not to be one-way...

NEW:

  .., which is not significantly better than the birthday attack.

  Even though collision attacks on MD2 are not significantly more
  powerful than the birthday attack, MD2 was found not to be
  one-way...

spt