Re: [secdir] [Anima] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-16

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 02 October 2018 00:28 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
cc: draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra.all@ietf.org, anima@ietf.org, Security Directorate <secdir@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 20:28:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [secdir] [Anima] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-16

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
    >>> a stunning review as usual.  but i have two questions which you kind
    >>> of finessed.  they are simple binary, i.e. yes/no, questions that the
    >>> end user, to whom the IETF is ultimately responsible, really cares
    >>> about.
    >>
    >>> if the manufacturer's servers go down, either permanently or even for
    >>> a day, does the device i have purchased still work?  i.e. is it fail
    >>> soft? [0]
    >>
    >> First, BRSKI as used by ANIMA is specifically not targetted at Things.
    >> (We are developing profiles of BRSKI that are about Things, but I
    >> think that this internet-draft should not be be evaluated on that
    >> basis).
    >>
    >> It's targetted at routers and other devices found at ISPs or
    >> Enterprises.

    > i missed where i said light bulbs.  i do have some of those, but i run
    > routers, servers, etc.; and do not want $vendor to break my network for
    > *any* reason.

Then I suggest that you never patch the OS or apply firmware updates :-)

The reality is that they can break your network trivially if they want to.
But, you have a contract that says that they won't do that.

    >> Second, the only time the manufacturer's servers need to be alive is
    >> when device ownership is claimed.

    > i.e. when i sell the router to some other op.  that was my second
    > question.

Yes, so when you sell the router, whether or not the buyer gets firmware
updates, the export firmware, or even a license is also up to the vendor, and
so the vendor already has a say.  This really changes nothing, except that it
formalizes the arrangement in computer code rather than legal code.

I'm not particularly happy about this, btw, but I don't see a way to both do
secure imprinting and liberate the end user from vendor control.  If you have
a way to solve this tussle, I'd really like to know.

    >> Once the device is claimed, it joins *YOUR* network, and trusts your
    >> infrastructure, not the manufacturer.  Whether or not the device will
    >> *operate* without the manufacturer's servers is really outside of
    >> BRSKI.

    > ahhh.  we just sell the guns, we do not say how they are used.

naw, we just sell 3D printers, we do not say how they are used.

    >> This is a pretty important question and we have discussed it at
    >> length.  I remain concerned, but as far as I can see, we have this
    >> problem already.

    > if i understand correctly, it creates a new problem, needing the
    > manufacturer's consent for me to resell my light^Hrouter.

Yes, but operators already had this problem.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-