Re: [secdir] secdir re-review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-16

"Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com> Thu, 11 October 2012 09:02 UTC

From: "Dearlove, Christopher (UK)" <Chris.Dearlove@baesystems.com>
To: Tom Yu <tlyu@MIT.EDU>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2.all@tools.ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 09:02:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.109.62.6]
Subject: Re: [secdir] secdir re-review of draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-16

Note, this is a personal comment, not the collected opinions of the authors.

Thanks you for re-reviewing.

With regard to the final correction, I think neither version is good. I think the original meant to say reject it as having the status valid, the replacement is saying reject it, it has the status invalid. I think a third wording (I'm not proposing a candidate here) would be better.

With regard to RFC 6622, I should note that I'm not an author of it. But from the perspective of OLSRv2, I can only comment that it was accepted by the IESG. Stressing the speaking personally, I would be happy to reference, or not reference, it.

There are good reasons why security functionality is separated out, essentially because (as is commented on in the security considerations section) there are a wide range of circumstances that ad hoc networks are used in. To name but two, there are obviously different requirements (including key management approaches) in a community Wi-Fi network, and a military application such as a group of soldiers. It would be, for the people who will use the protocol, wrong to even consider putting a "one size fits all" mechanism for signatures, timestamps, or (probably especially) key management into the routing protocol.

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687