Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability-13

Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com> Thu, 28 March 2019 11:32 UTC

From: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 12:32:47 +0100
Cc: Sandra Murphy <sandy@tislabs.com>, "secdir@ietf.org" <secdir@ietf.org>, "ccamp@ietf.org" <ccamp@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability.all@ietf.org>
To: "Yemin (Amy)" <amy.yemin@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [secdir] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-ccamp-rsvp-te-bandwidth-availability-13

I see that a new version was posted on Mar 6.  I thank the authors for their attention to my comments and for the explanations for cases where I was confused.

I have one suggestion.  The authors changed the text to say “floating point”, but I did not make clear that I think a reference to IEEE 754 is needed.

I found one reference to an IESG comment during the review of draft-ietf-isis-pcr

	• Jari Arkko: Comment [2016-01-07 04:51 PST]:
This comment from Suresh Krishnan's Gen-ART review seems relevant: There is no reference for the format of the Bandwidth fields in Sections 6.3 and 6.4. I am assuming this refers to the Single Precision format (binary32) from IEEE 754. If so, please add an explicit reference to this.

So the reference to the IEEE standard has been considered a good idea in past draft IESG reviews.

I found three RFCs that contained a reference to the IEEE 754 standard.  The first is the RFC that resulted from draft-ietf-isis-pcr

RFC 7813                        IS-IS PCR                      June 2016

11.2.  Informative References

   [IEEE754]  IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic",
              IEEE 754-2008, DOI 10.1109/IEEESTD.2008.4610935, 2008,
              <http://standards.ieee.org/findstds/
              standard/754-2008.html>.

the second is an OSPF RFC

RFC 7471                OSPF TE Metric Extensions             March 2015

13.1.  Normative References

   [IEEE754]  Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
              "Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic", IEEE Standard
              754, August 2008.

and the third is a CCAMP RFC:

RFC 8330            Availability Extension to OSPF-TE      February 2018

7.1.  Normative References

   [IEEE754-2008]
              IEEE, "IEEE Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic",
              IEEE 754-2008, DOI 10.1109/IEEESTD.2008.4610935.

Note that one reference is informative, two are normative.  The authors should decide whether the format is a requirement and therefore the reference should be normative.

In conversation with the RFC-Editor, there are some IEEE requests as to how the reference should be phrased.  The authors may wish to consult the RFC-Editor to decide how this reference should be phrased.  There are evidently considerations of whether you wish this document to follow the IEEE standard as it changes, or whether you want to point to the current version explicitly.

Something I did not notice before:

Page 6:

        Optionally, a higher availability bandwidth can be
        allocated to lower availability request when the lower
        availability bandwidth cannot satisfy the request.

Does this make the order of looking at availability bandwidth requests important?  If a lower availability requirement bandwidth request is allocated from the higher availability bandwidth before all higher availability bandwidth requests are satisfied, might that prevent a higher availability bandwidth request from being satisfied?

Appendix Page 9 and 10

I am afraid that even after review of the authors' comments and another time over the Appendix, I still do not understand the table in the Appendix.  To my reading of page 9 and 10:

400Mbps (level 3 modulation) is available except for the 52 minutes a year when the modulation drops to level 2 ==> (525600-52)/525600 = 99.99% of the time 400Mbps is available

200Mbps (level 2 modulation) is available except for the 26 minutes a year when the modulation drops to level 1 ==> (525600-26)/525600 = 99.995% of the time 200Mbps is available

100Mbps (level 1 modulation) is available except for the 5 minutes a year when the whole system is unavailable ==> (525600-5)/252600 = 99.999% of the time 100Mbps is available.

(There’s another interpretation of your example text - that the 400Mbgp is not available in the light rain that drops the modulation to level2 -or-  the 26 minutes of heavy rain that drops the modulation to level 1 -or- when the whole system is unavailable, so 400Mbps is unavailable 52+26+5 minutes each year, which is more like 99.98%.)

That would make the table say:

Sub-bandwidth (Mbps)   Availability

   ------------------     ------------

   400                    99.99%

   200                    99.995%

   100                    99.999%

Even if I am still am interpreting this incorrectly, I would like to point out that the text has two statements on page 10 that seem to conflict:

                                      Then the dropped 100 Mbps
   bandwidth has 99.995% availability.

and

                                               So the 100 Mbps
   bandwidth of the modulation level 1 owns the availability of
   99.999%.

You might want to do the readers a favor and clear up the conflict.

Some nits are below.

—Sandy

In light of the RFC-Editor request during the IETF104 plenary on Wednesday, here are some nits the RFC-Editor would probably catch, but to make their task easier, I note them here.

Page 3:

                                     When a video application requests
   for 120 Mbps without bandwidth availability requirement

requests for 120 Mbps —> “makes a request for 120Mbps” or “requests 120Mbps”
without bandwidth —> without a bandwidth

Page 5:

      Availability (4 octets): a 32-bit floating point number describes

This would be a good place to put a cite to the IEEE 754 reference.

      the decimal value of availability requirement for this bandwidth
      request. The value MUST be less than 1and is usually expressed in

of availability requirement —> “of the availability requirement”
1and —> “1 and”

Page 6:

        allocated to lower availability request when the lower

to lower availability request —> to a lower availability request

   When a node receives Availability TLVs which mixed of zero index and

“which mixed of” —> “which are a mix of"

   several <bandwidth, availability> pairs, but there're are extra

“there’re are” —> “there are”

   bandwidth-TLVs without matching index Availability-TLV, the extra

could be “without matching the index of any Availability-TLV” or “without any Availability-TLV with a matching index”

Page 7:

                                              RSVP-TE signaling used
   in GMPLS network.

in GMPLS network —> “in a GMPLS network” or “in GMPLS networks"